Need help? Ask a Patient QI expert - fill out a patient case form
1. Li et al. Electro acupuncture decreases excessive alcohol consumption involving reduction of FosB/ΔFosB levels in reward-related brain regions. PLoS One Jul 2012.
2. 1998 Oxford Journal Alcohol & Alcoholism, Acupuncture in Alcoholism Treatment Vol 34, Issue 4, pp 629-635
3. Zalewska et al. Use of low-energy laser as adjunct treatment of alcohol addiction. Lasers Med Sci 2004.
4. Sukul et al. Strychnos nux-vomica extract and its ultra-high dilution reduce voluntary ethanol intake in rats. J Altern Complement Med. Apr 2001.
5. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013. Epub 2013 Oct 22.
6. Yıldız O1, et al Hepatoprotective potential of chestnut bee pollen on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damages in rats.
7. Pekala RJ, Kumar VK et al Positive affect, negative affect, and negative effects during a phenomenological hypnotic assessment within a substance abuse population. Int J Clin Exp Hypn. 2009 Jan.
8. Am J Clin Hypn. Intensive therapy: utilizing hypnosis in the treatment of substance abuse disorders. Potter G. 2004 Jul.
9. Pekala RJ et al Self-hypnosis relapse prevention training with chronic drug/alcohol users: effects on self-esteem, affect, and relapse. Am J Clin Hypn. 2004 Apr.
10. Vedamurthachar A et al, Antidepressant efficacy and hormonal effects of Sudarshana Kriya Yoga (SKY) in alcohol dependent individuals. BN J Affect Disord. 2006 Aug. Epub 2006 Jun 5.
11. Yoga for addictions: Systematic review of randomised clinical trials. University of Exeter, Liverpool John Moores University, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. Jan 29 2014
12. Khalsa SB et al, Evaluation of a residential Kundalini yoga lifestyle pilot program for addiction in India. Subst Abuse. 2008.
13. Reader M, Young R, Connor JP. Massage therapy improves the management of alcohol withdrawal syndrome. J Altern Complement Med. 2005 Apr 11.
14. Markowitz JC. Pilot study of interpersonal psychotherapy versus supportive psychotherapy for dysthymic patients with secondary alcohol abuse or dependence. 2008.
15. Berner MM et al; the PREDICT study group. The Place of Additional Individual Psychotherapy in the Treatment of Alcoholism: A Randomized Controlled Study in Nonresponders to Anticraving Medication-Results of the PREDICT Study.Alcohol Clin Exp Res.. [Epub ahead of print] 2013 Nov 20.
16. Anton RF et al; COMBINE Study Research Group. Combined pharmacotherapies and behavioral interventions for alcohol dependence: the COMBINE study: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2006 May 3;295(17):2003-17.
17. Study of The Comparison of the effects of music therapy interventions on depression, anxiety, anger and stress on alcohol dependent clients. Sookmying Women’s University, Seoul, Korea July 2013.
18. Silverman MJ Effects of group songwriting on motivation and readiness for treatment on patients in detoxification: a randomized wait-list effectiveness study. Journal of Music Therapy. 2012 Winter.
19. P B Allen. Integrating art therapy into an alcoholism treatment program. American Journal of Art Therapy 1985 Aug
20. L R Wunsch, Art Therapy: A creative approach to alcoholism treatment.. Texas hospital 1984 Jan.
21. Ross LJ, et al. Prevalence of malnutrition and nutritional risk factors in patients undergoing alcohol and drug treatment. Nutrition. 2012 Jul. Epub 2012 Feb 21.
22. Manzardo AM, et al Double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of benfotiamine for severe alcohol dependence. Aug 11.
23. Rees E, Gowing LR, Supplementary thiamine is still important in alcohol dependence. Alcohol. 2013 Jan-Feb Epub 2012 Nov 16.
24. Mancinelli R et al. Blood thiamine, zinc, selenium, lead and oxidative stress in a population of male and female alcoholics: clinical evidence and gender differences. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 2013.
25. Enzymatic modification enhances the protective activity of citrus flavonoids against alcohol-induced liver disease. 2013 Food Chem 2013. 01.044 Epub 2013 Jan 29.
26. Belov VG et al. [Treatment of alcohol addiction syndrome with cytoflavin]. [Article in Russian] Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2013.
27. Protective effect of quercetin on alcohol abstinence-induced anxiety and convulsions. J Med Fod 2005 Fall.
28. Inflammopharmacology. 2012 Dec;20(6):331-41. doi: 10.1007/s10787-012-0122-z. Epub 2012 Feb 14.
29. Raygude KS et al. Evaluation of ameliorative effect of quercetin in experimental model of alcoholic neuropathy in rats.
30. Chang B et al. The protective effect of VSL#3 on intestinal permeability in a rat model of alcoholic intestinal injury. BMC Gastroenterol. 2013 Oct 20.
31. Russian pilot study, Probiotics restore bowel flora and improve liver enzymes in human alcohol induced liver injury. 2009
32. Jukić T1 et al. The use of a food supplementation with D-phenylalanine, L-glutamine and L-5-hydroxytriptophan in the alleviation of alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Coll Antropol. 2011 Dec
33. Das SK1, Mukherjee S Biochemical and immunological basis of silymarin effect, a milk thistle (Silybum marianum) against ethanol-induced oxidative damage. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2012 Jun;22. Epub 2012 Apr 4.
34. Lukas SE et al. A standardized kudzu extract (NPI-031) reduces alcohol consumption in nontreatment-seeking male heavy drinkers. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2013 Mar;226(1): Epub 2012 Oct 16.
35. Kępka A et al. Plasma carnitine concentrations after chronic alcohol intoxication. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2013 May 31.
36. Nutrients. 2012 Aug;4(8):1076-94. Epub 2012 Aug 20.
37. Malik P et al. Markers of bone resorption and formation during abstinence in male alcoholic patients. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012 Dec; Epub 2012 Sep 14.
38. Naude CE et al. Vitamin D and calcium status in South African adolescents with alcohol use disorders.
39. Clugston RD et al. The adverse effects of alcohol on vitamin A metabolism. Nutrients. 2012 May; Epub 2012 May 7.
40. Heyman GM et al. Daidzin decreases ethanol consumption in rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996 Sep.
41. Lin RC et al. Isoflavonoid compounds extracted from Pueraria lobata suppress alcohol preference in a pharmacogenetic rat model of alcoholism. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996 Jun.